Monday, May 31, 2021

Notes on getting going in my remote classes

We're never going back to where we were. We know that know. Many components of what we have been doing as online and remote teachers will remain with us, offering new ways for us to challenge and work with students. 

I've kept some notes about how I get things going in my remote classes, which for me means synchronous, Zoom-based courses. (Comment: I normally teach small-sized online writing/literacy courses, so everything here may not scale.)

Paper. I like computers. They are wonderful. They make me happy. However, paper and pencils remain great technologies. I always have brought hard-copy notes with me into my onsite courses (I have "packets" of notes going back to the 1990s), and I have maintained that practice in remote teaching. Interestingly, it often feels easier to refer to and use those notes when I'm on Zoom, where any paper shuffling is off screen.

Cameras on!? I still don't have a consistent "policy" or approach. Some days I think, "They all need to have their cameras on!" Other days, I agree strongly with those who have commented how intrusive and uncomfortable that can be for students. So I have let it go: They can choose whether they want a camera on. This term, I usually have about a quarter or a third of students with cameras on.

Jotting down names as students enter class. As students appear in the class, I jot down their names in the margin of those hard copy notes. It gives me a reliable attendance list. I also greet each student each day, and I knew everyone's name, pronunciation, and spelling from the go. This list of names also gives me an easy way to keep track of...

...Participation. In a strategy that will also work well for onsite teaching, I use that list to easily record participation. I've always had a participation component, even if it's just extra credit, and now I can write down a check or a + next to a student's name. I do hear those who suggest not grading participation (such as James Lang in a recent Chronicle of Higher Education article), but for me participation can take many forms, including a chat comment or working together in breakout rooms (which I always virtually "stroll" through to see if they have questions).

Quizzes. I almost always start class with an easy reading quiz. All they have to do is read. (I wrote about this here a long time ago.) They take these timed quizzes for the first eight to ten minutes of class. In Blackboard, completed quizzes appear in the Grade Center under Needs Grading. While students are finishing, I start grading a few of them, which is not only a time saver, but it helps me make sure I haven't asked a bad question. The quiz opens two minutes before class starts so early risers can get at it. When everyone is finished, which I can see in Blackboard, we immediately review the answers; my hope is students have done well and feel good starting the class.

I have not required students to have cameras on during these quizzes; however, you can’t take the quiz if you’re not "in" class! I do think well of my students, and I assume they are not going to cheat. However, I can mix up questions at times through the use of Blackboard Questions Sets, which allows teachers to create random quiz questions. Again, the point of the quizzes is that they are fast-paced and easy--read and you're in great shape!--so I hope that discourages cheating.

Moderators, I've recently discussed using chat moderators. This is a good practice, even if the chat is often quiet.

ClassNotes file. I have a ClassNotes Word file to cut-and-paste text into the chat. It makes the flow in class smoother for breakout group instructions: I have the instructions readily available to clip into the chat.

Questions? After the quiz review, I always take a moment to ask if there are any questions. I'm patient, and I allow my "Any questions about what's going on?" question to linger for a minute or so before we get into class.

These are a few strategies that have helped me get my remote courses started. Some are carry-overs from onsite teaching. Others will help me with onsite teaching. And, of course, some just help me become a better teacher overall--which is the spirit of online writing and literacy instruction.



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home